Bell School Road
- Location: Rockford, Illinois
- Client: Winnebago County Highway Department
- Construction Cost: $5,400,000
- Scope of Work: IDS, Topo, Route and Land Survey, R.O.W. Plats, New Alignment Design, Storm Sewer Design, Traffic Signal Design, Roadway Design, Final Plans & Specifications
- Project Schedule: Completed - 2008
- WHA Team: Geoff Smith, P.E., Mike Hielsberg, P.E.
Phase I & II Services
With Winnebago County expanding and more development planned, the arterial roadway system needed a major expansion to accommodate the growing urban nature of the surrounding area. Traffic counts had grown on Bell School Road; requiring the reconstruction of the existing two-lane rural facility to a five-lane urban section. The project scope included a wide range of engineering services: complete route and land surveying, right-of-way delineation and platting, new alignment design, storm sewer design, traffic signal design, intersection design studies, roadway design, aerial photography, and final plans and specifications.
As a staged construction project, Bell School Road showcases the diversified talents and creative design capabilities of Willett, Hofmann & Associates, Inc. The design included combined curb and gutter, storm sewer facilities, traffic signals at three intersections; grading and layout for future multi-use recreational path; full-depth hot-mix asphalt pavement and related appurtenances; pavement marking for channelization; and storm water management plans.