Polo Shannon Bank
- Location: Lake Carroll, Illinois
- Client: First State Bank of Shannon-Polo-Lake Carroll
- Scope of Work: Architectural Design-New Construction, Structural Design, Civil Site Design
- Project Schedule: Completed - 2006
- WHA Team: Thomas W. Houck, A.I.A., P.E., LEED AP BD +C
The First State Bank of Shannon-Polo contacted Willett Hofmann & Associates with a desire to create a small residential scale structure with inviting interior spaces nestled into the trees on a wooded one-acre site near Lake Carroll, Illinois. The intent expressed at the initial meeting was to create a building simple in form to blend in with the rural nature of the site. The structure was to provide a setting for the presentation of a progressive form of banking services to be reflected on the interior. In order to achieve the feeling of being “nestled” in the trees the building was first sited to minimize the removal of existing trees, and from the interior, views to the site were maximized through floor to soffit exterior windows spaced around the building perimeter. The interior space created is not only an open plan, but also an open volume, focused around a gathering area in front of a large fireplace. The interior space is both poised and friendly to bank clientele and also functional for bank staff.